Friday, October 7, 2011

My Apologies to My First Readers

Today I happened to go to the Amazon.com page for the print version of my new book, So Faithful a Heart: When Love Won't Die, Special Edition and found that they had dropped the price from $23.50 to $16.92 and was quite upset over it. Normally, it wouldn't have bothered me, but (a) I wasn't notified that they were going to do this, (b) the book has been out for less than a month and I've barely had a chance to market it, (c) my first readers, who paid the regular list price, will go to my page to leave reviews only to find that they paid nearly $10.00 more and (d) in dropping the price so low within the first month of its release it looks bad on me and on my book and indicates that Amazon doesn't have much faith in its success (although how an independent author is supposed to have roaring success within the first month of their book's release is beyond me).

My apologies to my first readers who paid a much higher price for their books. I assure you, this was not my doing. I set the price at $23.50 with the thought that this was reasonable for a 530 page, 180,000 word novel that was written, edited, and published with such high quality as this one has been. I could see Amazon lowering the price after six months or so, if the book wasn't selling well, but not within two weeks of the marketing page's debut. That's simply ridiculous. Believe me, Amazon HAS heard from me on this.

No comments :

Post a Comment